Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Project No Spanking


Murray Stratus wrote a research article called “New Evidence for The Benefit of Never Spanking” to argue that parents spanking their children is ineffective and should be stopped.  He supports this thesis by giving examples of recent research and studies that were released. Murray wants other researches and people that are against spanking their kids to figure out better ways to inform parents of how wrong it is in order to persuade the parents. The intended audience is other researchers and people who are against spanking kids.



I partly agree with the text of this article. I believe that spanking your child should not be the first option you choose but I don’t agree with it being wrong and unethical. My parents whopped me as a child and I turned out perfectly fine. They didn’t whoop me all the time though. The only time they would choose to whoop me is if I repeated the same wrong doing over and over after they told me it was wrong. I was always warned before they whooped me too. They would say “the next you do this I will whoop you” I honestly think that was a fair warning.
This article is a formal informative article. The audience was other researchers and people who opposed spanking their kids. The author gives examples of better ways to make it noticeable to parents that spanking is bad. Like “there can be a “No-Spanking” poster and pamphlet in every pediatrician’s office” 

No comments:

Post a Comment